It’s the post you’ve been waiting for.
I’m not going to clog it up with words. Just the facts.
To tape off the windows and lights, I used painters tape meant for stucco.
I bought this automotive paint sprayer for $60 from Harbor Freight. Normally I don’t do HF tools. But I didn’t want to over-spend on this tool in case I never used it again. Turns out I LOVE it and have since painted several more things not auto related.
Use oil based exterior paint with enamel. Thin with acetone according to the directions on the back of the paint can.
I used RustOleum’s Aluminum for the silver. Unfortunately RustOleum doesn’t make tintable oil based exterior paint, so I hit up Sherwin-Williams to mix up some Nifty Turquoise for me.
I tested them on a spare piece of corrugate metal to make sure I liked the way they looked.
I sprayed starting at the top. The technique is similar to spray painting. Lots of light coats or else drips will happen.
I taped off where I wanted the stripe to be. I did NOT use the stucco tape. I used auto-paint masking tape. I noticed there was some slight over-spray from the aluminum. I knew that when I painted the teal that I’d have to be extra careful. I waited for the aluminum to dry and taped some plastic to the stripe to protect it from overspray. It worked great. Unfortunately, I did not take a picture.
Make sure to cover up. I was the tin man. And oil based paint does NOT come off easily. I literally had to bathe in acetone and pumice to clean up. It was the most painful bath of my life.
Then we had the joy of removing the tape. Be prepared. The stucco tape is STICKY. Like, really really really sticky. But nothing bled through at all.
We took the trailer camping over Easter weekend. Last minute we needed to put the Xterra in the shop, but luckily we were able to use Aaron’s brother’s car to pull it. She was STUNNING in the trailer park.
There are still more updates we plan on doing to the exterior. Hub caps, new light covers, paint the trim around the windows. But the paint scheme is settled! Originally I wanted something a little more feminine, like scallops. But Aaron and I decided something classic to the era would be best. And he was right.
This wasn’t an ideal “after” picture because of the way the sun is shining, but I’m so in love with how shiny the RustOleum Aluminum is. It looks so classic.
This has been the funnest project. It has been hard work. I did most of the painting by myself in the hot sun (as my sunburned neck testifies of). The reward is great! We had so much family-fun this weekend.
Waking up with my two loves in the canned ham on Easter was pure joy.
I even made Rice Crispy treats 🙂
And most importantly, she has a name. Welcome to the family, Myrtle.